Fireplaces and Wood Stoves
- Clean and inspect your chimney or wood stove annually, using a certified chimney specialist.
- Vent pipes should be tree feet above the roof.
- Make sure wood stoves and portable kerosene heaters have met building codes.
- Burn only wood in fireplace or wood stove.
Outdoor Fire Safety Tips
- Stack firewood at least 30 feet away from your home.
- Regularly clean the leaves, pine needles and other debris off the roof of your home.
- Make sure there are no tree branches hanging above the chimney, flues or vents.
- Store flammable materials at least 30 feet from your home.
- Use fire resistant plants and vegetation for landscaping.
- Trees and brush should be thinned within 30 feet around the home.
- Water sources need to be accessible to the fire department.
Fire Safety for Children
- Children should wear fire-retardant clothing.
- Children need to be taught about fire and fire safety.
- children should never play around electrical appliances or heaters.
- Children should know the fire escape plan.
- Smoke alarms should be tested every month.
- Batteries in smoke alarms should be replaced at least once a year.
- Smoke detectors should be replaced every ten years.
Fire Escape Plan
- Develop a fire escape plan, and practice it with your family.
- Have a designated meeting area away from the driveway in the yard where all family members are to go.
- Do not overload extension cords.
- Look for the UL tag on appliances.
- Check wiring on appliances routinely.
- Replace worn, old, or damaged appliance cords.
- Place portable electrical heaters at least 3 feet from curtains, furniture, etc.
- Children should never play around electrical appliances or heaters.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Smoke Detectors and Battery Information
Test your smoke detectors at least once a month. If battery operated, replace the batteries at least once a year. One way to remember to change your battery is to change it during daylight savings time - when you move your clock back or ahead, change your battery. If a detector is more than 10 years old, it should be replaced with a new unit.